Do you have any jelly rolls you don’t know what to do with? This is your project!
If you don’t have jelly rolls, you still can make these 2 blocks quickly and easily.
How to make 2 hexagon quilt blocks
Learn in less than 2 minutes how to make these 2 beautiful blocks:
If you enjoy my video tutorials, subscribe to my Youtube channel.
Materials for 2 blocks
- 2 strips of fabric 2 1/2 inch x 37 inch.
If you like my videos subscribe to my channel. If you make any of my tutorials and upload pictures to Instagram please tag me with @teresadownunder
Here is a quick and easy Butterflies quilt free pattern (pdf).
How to make an hourglass block
Learn in just over 2 of minutes:
Did you like this tutorial? If you want to be notified every time I upload a video subscribe to my YouTube channel. Enjoy!
Download Butterflies free pattern
Butterflies quilt free pattern (pdf).
6 1/2 inch square
For 2 hourglass blocks:
- two 7 1/2 inch squares in contrasting fabrics.
With this tutorial you’ll make 6 blocks, 2 in each colour
Butterflies mini quilt
- 7 hourglass blocks in charcoal
- 8 hourglass blocks in turquoise
- 1 hourglass block in red
30 inch square plus the binding.
- 1/2 yard of cream/white fabric
- 1/4 yard of charcoal fabric
- 1/4 yard of acqua or turquoise fabric
- 1/2 yard of gray fabric for the border
- 1/4 yard of red fabric
- Four 7 1/2 inch squares in charcoal
- Five 7 1/2 inch squares in white/cream
- Four 7 1/2 inch squares in turquoise
- One 7 1/2 inch square in red
- 2 strips 3 inches x 24 inches and 2 strips 3 inches x 30 inches
- Fabric for the binding (see tutorial below)
Once the top has been sewn together, it’s time to quilt it.
Free motion quilting
I usually finish my quilts with free motion. It’s quick and easy once you get the hang of it.
If you wish to try, here’s how you do it:
Binding the quilt
Binding the quilt using a sewing machine is the quickest way to finish a quilt. It’s a lot easier to. Watch how it’s done:
Did you like the special binding I used? It’s called a flange though it looks to me like piping. This is how you add a flange or faux piping to your quilt binding:
Download Labyrinth quilt pattern
Download Labyrinth quilt top pattern (pdf) – 1 page pattern
The pattern contains cutting directions, fabric needs as well as a quilt assembly diagram. The pattern also contains a link to the block tutorial.
How to make a scrappy half and half square triangle (HST) block
While I chose to use solids for the strips of fabric, this block may work better with scrappy print fabrics where the strips may not be so obviously mismatched on some of the quilt designs.