Back of quilt
This is a quilt consisting of 12 x 12 1/2 inch improv patchwork blocks.
Why semi improv and not just improv patchwork?
The reason for the “semi” part is that the quilt starts with 6 traditional blocks, all of them a variation of churn dash or monkey wrench. Then after 2 improv patchwork iterations we obtain 12 improv patchwork blocks.
Quilt finished size
The size of the quilt is approximately 36 1/2 in x 48 1/2 in.
- 1 charm pack (a charm pack contains typically 42 x 5 in squares)
- cream cotton fabric for the background*
- cotton solids scraps in matching colours
- fabric for the backing (the backing will use some 5 in squares and background fabric)
* I cannot give you an exact amount of background fabric I used. I have several metres of Moda Bella snow and I just keep using it in my projects as I make them.
First improv iteration
Second improv iteration
- Blocks 1 and 7
- Blocks 2 and 8
- Blocks 3 and 9
- Blocks 4 and 10
- Blocks 5 and 11
- Blocks 6 and 12
- Finishing the improv blocks
Putting everything together
If you make this quilt, please share your pictures at the Semi improv patchwork quilt Flickr group.