Do you have a pack of charm squares or two? This is the project for you!
How to make Wonky pinwheel quilt block
Learn in 2 minutes:
Do you wish to receive my tutorials in your inbox?
Have you made any of my quilts or tutorials?
If you make any of my tutorials and upload pictures to Instagram please tag me with @teresadownunder on private message me in Facebook with some photos and I’ll post them for everyone to see!
These two blocks look very much the same but one of them is a 3D block.
How to make 2 paper pinwheel quilt blocks
Learn to make this block in over 3 minutes:
If you enjoy my videos and tutorials you can help by:
How to make a paper pinwheel quilt block
Learn to make this block in 2 minutes:
This block is made with half square triangles (HSTs) and squares.
It’s a beginner quilt block.
12 1/2 inches.
- 1 white 5 1/2 inch square
- 1 dark red 5 1/2 inch square
- 2 medium red 5 1/2 inch squares
- 8 white 3 1/2 inch squares
This block looks best when both fabrics have high contrast and the darker fabric is only used in the four half square triangles in the centre of the block. This gives a more 3D look.
How to make rail fence variations quilt blocks
Learn how to make some rail fence variations quilt blocks in just over 2 minutes:
Materials for some rail fence variations quilt blocks
- 3 strips 15 x 1 1/2 inches of dark fabric
- 3 strips 15 x 1 1/2 inches of medium volume fabric
- 3 strips 15 x 1 1/2 inches of low volume fabric
- Five 3 1/2 inch squares in dark fabric
- Five 3 1/2 inch squares in medium volume fabric
- Five 3 1/2 inch squares in low volume fabric
Each strip makes four 3 1/2 inch squares.
Four patch blocks measure 6 1/2 inch square.
Nine patch blocks measure 9 1/2 inch square.
Some of the blocks
Have a look at some of the variations you can obtain:
4-patch quilting blocks
9-patch quilting blocks
How to make a disappearing pinwheel block
Learn how to make this block in less than 2 minutes.
- Two 9 3/8 inch squares in contrasting fabrics
The finished block is 10 1/4 inch square.
How to arrange the patches to make this block
Sew in rows and then the rows together.
Quilt design ideas
You can make a whole quilt with one single block.