Note on yesterday’s post: A draft post was sent yesterday by the system to subscribers. It wasn’t published on the blog homepage as a regular post. I don’t know how that happened but I suspect it must have been a bug in the system. I deleted the post as soon as I saw it but some of you have been leaving comments. So now you know what happened 😊.
Back to business!
Christmas is coming up quickly but there’s still time to make a few Christmas decorations. This one is one of my favourites.
Based on two ideas by:
- Lovely little handmades – Download the free template by Annie Oakleaves or buy the whole Christmas collection
- PlanetCoco embroidery mounted on canvas (mounting idea and using felt and embroidery together)
- Fabric scraps in red and white for the bottom part of the piece
- Fabric scraps in green, red and cream to sew around the outer frame
- Stranded cotton in light and dark green, gold and red
- Felt in red and beige
- Beads in red and green
Place white and red fabric over calico fabric slightly overlapping and cut making waves using a rotary cutter. I followed Pink Chalk Studio’s tutorial on wavy seams.
Turn and iron making sure your surface is flat.
Draw the design on the calico side using a pencil.
Mount on an embroidery hoop and start doing the embroidery.
Long and short stitches
The felt is lightly glued to the fabric so it doesn’t move when working with it.
When finished, stretch on a canvas.