Here is a quick and easy Butterflies quilt free pattern (pdf).
How to make an hourglass block
Learn in just over 2 of minutes:
Did you like this tutorial? If you want to be notified every time I upload a video subscribe to my YouTube channel. Enjoy!
Download Butterflies free pattern
6 1/2 inch square
For 2 hourglass blocks:
- two 7 1/2 inch squares in contrasting fabrics.
With this tutorial you’ll make 6 blocks, 2 in each colour
Butterflies mini quilt
- 7 hourglass blocks in charcoal
- 8 hourglass blocks in turquoise
- 1 hourglass block in red
30 inch square plus the binding.
- 1/2 yard of cream/white fabric
- 1/4 yard of charcoal fabric
- 1/4 yard of acqua or turquoise fabric
- 1/2 yard of gray fabric for the border
- 1/4 yard of red fabric
- Four 7 1/2 inch squares in charcoal
- Five 7 1/2 inch squares in white/cream
- Four 7 1/2 inch squares in turquoise
- One 7 1/2 inch square in red
- 2 strips 3 inches x 24 inches and 2 strips 3 inches x 30 inches
- Fabric for the binding (see tutorial below)
Once the top has been sewn together, it’s time to quilt it.
Free motion quilting
I usually finish my quilts with free motion. It’s quick and easy once you get the hang of it.
If you wish to try, here’s how you do it:
Binding the quilt
Binding the quilt using a sewing machine is the quickest way to finish a quilt. It’s a lot easier to. Watch how it’s done:
Did you like the special binding I used? It’s called a flange though it looks to me like piping. This is how you add a flange or faux piping to your quilt binding: