I have seen different kinds of disappearing 9 patch blocks but this variation is not as common though it is very effective.
Again, this block is quite quick and easy to make as you can see on the video.
Disappearing 9-patch block variation block tutorial
To make this tutorial you need to start with 2 traditional 9 patch blocks.
Some tips to make the most of this block
- Use 5 inch charm squares for speed
- Use high contrasting fabrics when swapping the strips
- Fussy cut the central square or use that fabric you’ve been keeping for a special project.
- This quilt can be quite striking in colour schemes such as black and white, red and black, red, black and white.
- Combine blocks in complimentary colours such as green and red, yellow and purple or blue and orange
Disappearing 9-patch variation quilt tutorial
I made a quilt with this variation of disappearing 9-patch block some time ago.
Have a look at the prairie points. I think this was the first time I introduced fabric manipulation on my quilts. I have made many fabric manipulations since.
This is the full quilt. The prairie points add a very nice touch in my view. It makes this quilt particularly special and they’re a great way to use up your fabric scraps.