Do you want to make this quilt?
This is the sixth block in a series of 12 that make the Semi-improv 9-patch quilt.
- 1 charm pack (a charm pack is typically a 42 x 5 in squares)
- cream cotton fabric for the background
- cotton solids scraps in matching colours
All blocks are a variation of churn dash or monkey wrench, a 9-patch block.
The finished block size is 12 1/2 inches. The finished size will be obtained after 2 improv patchwork iterations.
Red = pattern charm square
Black = contrasting fabric
White = background fabric
- one charm square to 4 1/2 in for the centre of pattern fabric
- four 4 1/2 in x 2 1/2 in of the background fabric
- four 4 1/2 in x 2 1/2 in of the contrasting fabric
- two 4 7/8 inches for the corners in the background fabric
- trim two charm squares to 4 7/8 in squares for the corners in the pattern fabric
Important: Keep the tiny bits when trimming the charm squares to 4 1/2 inches. They’ll be used later.
Making the corner triangles
Place both pattern 4 7/8 square and background square with right sides together.
Mark a diagonal as per picture.
Stitch 1/4 in from the line on both sides of the diagonal.
Cut through the diagonal.
Open and press.
Place the cut pieces as per diagram above.
Stitch together on rows and then the rows together.
All 6 blocks are finished.
The fun starts in the next post!