This is the fifth block in a series of 12 that make the Semi-improv 9-patch quilt.
- 1 charm pack (a charm pack is typically a 42 x 5 in squares)
- cream cotton fabric for the background
- cotton solids scraps in matching colours
All blocks are a variation of churn dash or monkey wrench, a 9-patch block.
The finished block size is 12 1/2 inches. The finished size will be obtained after 2 improv patchwork iterations.
Red = pattern charm square
White = background fabric
- trim one charm square to 4 1/2 in for the centre of pattern fabric
- four 4 1/2 in x 2 1/2 in of the pattern fabric
- four 4 1/2 in x 2 1/2 in of the background fabric
- two 4 7/8 inches for the corners in the background fabric
- trim two charm squares to 4 7/8 in squares for the corners in the pattern fabric
Making the corner triangles
Place both pattern 4 7/8 square and background square with right sides together.
Mark a diagonal as per picture.
Stitch 1/4 in from the line on both sides of the diagonal.
Cut through the diagonal.
Open and press.
Place the cut pieces as per diagram above.
Stitch together on rows and then the rows together.
The fifth block is done.