Do you want to make this quilt?
This is the fourth block in a series of 12 that make the Semi-improv 9-patch quilt.
- 1 charm pack (a charm pack is typically a 42 x 5 in squares)
- cream cotton fabric for the background
- cotton solids scraps in matching colours
All blocks are a variation of churn dash or monkey wrench, a 9-patch block.
The finished block size is 12 1/2 inches. The finished size will be obtained after 2 improv patchwork iterations.
Red = pattern charm square
Black = contrasting fabric
White = background fabric
- one charm square to 4 1/2 in for the centre of contrasting fabric
- four 4 1/2 in x 2 1/2 in of the pattern fabric
- four 4 1/2 in x 2 1/2 in of the contrasting fabric
- two 4 7/8 inches for the corners in the background fabric
- trim two charm squares to 4 7/8 in squares for the corners in the pattern fabric
Important: Keep the tiny bits when trimming the charm squares to 4 1/2 inches. They’ll be used later.
Making the corner triangles
Place both pattern 4 7/8 square and background square with right sides together.
Mark a diagonal as per picture.
Stitch 1/4 in from the line on both sides of the diagonal.
Cut through the diagonal.
Open and press.
Stitch together on rows and then the rows together.
The fourth block is done.