These are called quilted Christmas ornaments and you can make them in different ways.
I followed Random Rambling’s tutorial but there are others you can follow such as Project wedding or the one on Make Stuff. Plenty to choose from. You can watch a video which clearly demonstrates how to make a ball from beginning to end. You don’t have a polystyrene ball? Use a CD instead of a ball to make this ornament!
I have made a number of them and I can say that:
- using 2.5in squares instead of 3in squares for a 3 inch ball achieves better results
- high contrast fabrics and colours work better
- they make great Christmas presents
- they are great craft projects to make with children
- they are a good way to relax and get into the zen zone