This pillowcase has two sides to it.
- 12 charm squares (5 x5 inches) – pattern / colour
- 12 rectangles 7 x 2 ½ inches in white
- 12 rectangles 5 x 2 ½ inches in white
- 2 strips 19 ⅞ x 1 ⅞ inches in white (border)
- 2 strips 29 x 1 inches in white (border)
- 18 squares 2 ½ x 2 ½ (make 4 by cutting a charm square in fours)
- 15 squares 2 ½ x 2 ½ inches in white
- 2 strips 4 ½ x 22 ½ inches in white
- 2 strips 3 ¾ x 14 ½ inches in white (border)
- 2 strips 3 ⅞ x 29 inches in white (border)
Assembly of side 1
Place charm square as per photo and sew short rectangle first.
Then sew long rectangle as per photo.
After sewing 12 charm squares assemble as per photo below and sew leaving a ¼ seam allowance.
Finish by sewing a border with the white strips left.
Assembly of side 2
Sew alternating patterned and white squares as per photo below.
Then sew two strips between the checks strips.
Finish the side by adding a border with the other white strips left.
Now make a quilt sandwich with each side using calico as your lining fabric.
Quilt both sides together and when finished trim the piece.
The pillow has a border on each side in two different prints.
For each side border, cut 2 rectangles measuring 10 x 4 ¾ and one 1 ½ x 4 ¾ inches.
Sew the rectangles together as per the picture below. Fold in half and press.
Attach to one side of the quilted sandwich.
Do this for each side.
Sew both quilted pieces together wrong sides facing. The border on each side should be sewn folded in half.
Make a long strip using 5 widths of fabric and fold it in half an iron it. The width of the strip is 2 ¼ inches.
Sew the binding along 3 sides of the pillow.
Then stitch the other side of the binding as you would do with quilt binding.
Make two small tubes (8 x 2 ¼) and pin to the middle of the border. I used contrasting fabrics from the border.
Sew tubes in place and inside of border.
Tie both sides.